Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My wake up call

Today was uneventful, right up until set free. Uneventful as in nothing huge happened, but as every other mom probably thinks, I consider every day with my daughter amazing, and full of new surprises and such happiness, so to everyone else it was uneventful, but every day, to me, is an amazing miracle. Moving on....

I almost had to drag myself to set free, because my daughter had a stomach ache and was crying a whole 30 minutes before I left, and I was rocking her and singing to her and I didn't want to leave her, but I did know she would be in good hands with her daddy, I just didn't want to leave my hurting baby. That is just an example of what happens every single tuesday. Something ALWAYS comes up when I am supposed to be at Set Free, and I could have every excuse in the book not to go, but I usually make myself go, and end up better for it, like tonight.

I'll go more into depth tomorrow, by writing out what we read, but what we read tonight changed my life. Changed my entire perspective, it was like a slap in the face big wake up call.

It made me think about what has happened in my dads life, my Grandpa Crumpacker's life, My Great Aunt Virginia's life, and My Grandpa's siblings lives. They all suffered from a heart attack, and all of them but my dad died, and my dad has had 2 of them.

When he had his second heart attack, he was living up in Rocklin, while we were here in Los Angeles, and my daughter was only 9 months old. I was so upset and mad. I cried all day and made myself sick (literally), but all I could think about was how mad I was at my dad for letting it happen again. I just kept thinking that it was so selfish of him to not make a conscious effort to stop eating the way he was, and to have this happen again, and to possibly let his granddaughter go through the same things myself, my sisters and my cousins went through, with not knowing our Grandpa. I love my dad so much, he is one of the most kind, tender hearted people I know, and I wanted my daughter to really know him, not just know stories of him.

I have been such a hypocrite though. How could I, with what runs in my family, keep eating the way I have been. I have been so selfish. I have not been thinking of my husband, my daughter, my dad, my mom, my sisters, my friends, my cousins and all who might love me, in those moments when I just have to have one more bite, or that one piece of cake, or that bag of chips. And although it was so easy for me to place blame on my dad, I was placing blame on anything else but me. What am I waiting for? An onset of diabetes? A heart attack? I WILL NOT let what was my family's past, or something "in the genes" be my destiny. I AM GOING to be here (unless God takes me sooner) to watch my children grow up, to see my grandchildren and to grow old with my husband. What a wake up call tonight has been.

And dad, if you are reading this, I no longer think you are selfish. I completely understand where you are coming from, and I know how difficult it is. You are one of my hero's especially the way you reversed your diabetes, lost weight, reversed your bad cholesterol and high blood pressure and we are all, so proud of you. I love you so much daddy, and I cannot tell you how happy we all are that you are still with us.

3 comments:

  1. ZB! That is so awesome. What is set free? I'm guessing we don't have it here. What are you reading from? Is it a particular book? I would love to know more! What are you doing for exercise? I just bought the Zumba game and I really need to get into exercising. I have tried many times to get people to do it with me and help me be accountable but each time both the other person and I get lax and stop :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Char, Set Free is something they have at my Church. It's amazing, they have a program for everyone dealing with any kind of addiction you can think of. We all meet up at 7 on Tuesday nights and Friday nights and someone gives a testimony, and says a quick word and prayer, and then we all go to our separate classes that concern what we are dealing with. And I know I was one of your accountability partners and I just stopped and I am so sorry. If you want to try with me again, we should! Just e-mail me on FB, and we'll send each other our completely honest food and exercise for the day. And I totally want to get the Zumba btw, if you were here, I would so be doing that with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna do just fine ZB because you want to do it for YOU. Food, like alcohol can be cunning, baffeling, powerful.
    Higher Power was not originally in the beginning of AA. Bill W and Dr Bob had Jesus Christ as their Deliverer but at the suggestion of one of the first five members changed to Higher Power so as to include all people of all faiths. It's been working that way since 1935.
    I've found an overwhelming majority of AAs are open to the gospel and many use AA as their second 'church'. Check out the following:

    RECOVERY PROGRAMS
    By Dick B.

    Did you know that early A.A. in Akron was a Christian Fellowship?

    Did you know that its basic ideas came from study of the Bible?

    Did you know that its meetings were called “old fashioned prayer meetings”

    Did you know its principles and practices derived from the United Christian Endeavor Society?

    Did you know that the Book of James, the Sermon on the Mount, and 1 Corinthians 13 were considered “absolutely essential” to the program?

    Did you know that the pioneers achieved a 75% to 93% success rate—which they properly called “cures”—as the result of their program?

    Do you agree that a knowledge of these facts strengthens and buttresses any Christian Track or Christian Recovery or Christian 12-Step or Christ-centered Recovery Program?

    ReplyDelete